- Member: Fairtrade Germany/Fairtrade International
- Project: Productivity Improvement Programme (PIP) for Fairtrade Small Farmers in the Banana Sector
- Countries: Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, Dominican Republic, Windward Islands
“The project has given us the opportunity to construct bio factories, to produce bio-ferments for improved soil fertility, adding mineral salts and microorganisms; overall, it has reduced chemical fertilizers and allowed us to produce more sustainable crops.”
Henry Fernández, Asociación Agraria Bananera Fincas de El Oro, Ecuador
The focus of the project is on the improvement of plants and soil fertility through the supply of nutrients. The organic fertilizer is produced from the organic raw materials available in the region. In addition, there are trainings on farming and harvesting methods, water management (especially in dry regions), transport and packaging.
Results of the project:
- Productivity increase 2017: on average +29% boxes/ ha/ year (compare 2015)
- Reduction of fixed costs and increase in the net income of farmers
- In the fight against Black Sigatoka agrochemicals were reduced by at least 50%, in some cases even 100%.
- Biological control of insects was improved
- Watering frequency was reduced by 50%
Find more information about the project here: International Exchange of Small-Scale Banana Producers (Fairtrade)